Friday, February 18, 2011

Got Bridesmaids?

To all my newly engaged Facebook friends out there {congrats!}, you might appreciate this post!  I totally stole this idea off the internet and ran with it (I at least put my own spin on it).

Bryan proposed to me in Kansas, so technically I could have asked each bridesmaid face-to-face then to stand next to me on my big day...but, being just engaged, we weren't sure how many we were going to have in our wedding party.  Once we returned to Florida and got the wedding plans rolling, I didn't want to just call my bridesmaids and ask them over the phone, not that there is anything wrong with that, I just wanted to do something different.

So this is what I came up with:  Bridesmaid Survival Kits.  They were relatively inexpensive (...if you don't have six bridesmaids).  You can buy them online already assembled from different retailers for $16-20 a piece, but I opted to make my own, it was much more fun.  I bought a makeup bag at Target (they have cute ones on the travel aisle for $1) and added the following: 
mini bottle of liquor (let's face it, my 'maids will need it)
chocolate (proven stress reliever)
travel sewing kit (for any last minute rips-WalMart has them for cheap)
bobby pins (JoAnn's Craft Store had a package of 6 pearl embellished pins for $2.99)
Kleenexs
compact mirror (check the $1 bins at Ulta @ Christmas)
Band-Aids
Shout Wipes
nail files

Using Adobe InDesign I created the survival kit labels and the card that read (I stole this off the internet too):

"Roses are red, violets are blue, will you be my bridesmaid?  Please say 'I do'."

I cut slits on the survival kit labels, strung pink ribbon through, and tied it to the makeup bag filled with the survival goodies.  I wrapped the bags up in pink tissue paper sealed with a wedding sticker, tacked the card on top, and shipped them off to each 'maid!  The only variation was the Maid of Honor's kit, which obviously said "Maid of Honor" instead of "Bridesmaid", and I couldn't resist sending her a copy of "My Best Friend's Wedding" on DVD!

Feel free to steal the idea, it's not like it was my original!  I'd be happy to email you the label and cards I designed, just ask!

Here's how they turned out:


1 comment:

  1. I loved receiving this in the mail! Wonderful idea :-)

    ReplyDelete